Environmental Consulting in Wilmington, NC FAQs

Q: What is a perk test?

A perk (or percolation) test is a measure of the rate water will move into a soil. The perk test is no longer accepted in North and South Carolina because it only tells you about the water movement and does not account for seasonal high water table concerns, expanding clay minerals, fractured rocks, etc

Q: Does LMG perform perk tests?

No. LMG follows the wastewater permitting guidelines set forth by the states of North and South Carolina. These guidelines require a comprehensive description of the soils to determine more than 7 factors of soil suitability for wastewater. LMG will be glad to assist clients with wastewater (septic) permitting by completing applications for wastewater permits.

Q: Does LMG prepare licensed soil scientist reports for innovative wastewater systems?

Yes. Many new wastewater systems have been approved in North Carolina as well as South Carolina. These systems have many advantages over conventional wastewater systems. In order to receive the maximum space savings allowed by these systems, a report from a licensed soil scientist is required. LMG will be glad to assist clients by evaluating sites for innovative systems and completing licensed soil scientists reports.

Q: Does LMG prepare licensed soil scientist reports for large or industrial wastewater systems?

Yes. Many large or industrial wastewater systems require further study and evaluation by a North Carolina licensed soil scientist or a SC Professional Soil Classifier prior to wastewater permitting. LMG can perform the detailed testing and analysis required for permitting. LMG can perform the detailed testing and analysis required for permitting large or industrial type wastewater systems.

Q: What is a wetland delineation?

Wetland Delineation is the process LMG goes through to determine the exact position of the border/boundary around a specific area of Wetland.

Q: What is involved in a wetland Jurisdictional Determination?

Wetland Mapping, Delineation, approval by the Army Corps of Engineers, survey by a registered land surveyor, presentation of survey and supporting documents to the Army Corps of Engineers for a final signature.

Q: How long is a signed wetland survey good for?

It is good for 5 years after being signed by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Q: How are wetlands determined?

They are determined by using the guidelines in the 1987 Army Corps of Engineers wetlands manual. These guidelines include the three parameter approach using soils, hydrology, and plants.

Q: What activities require a CAMA Major Permit?

In general, any development activity that takes place within an area of environmental concern (AEC) that also requires another separate state or federal authorization. Examples of typical projects requiring CAMA Major Permits include marinas, water front developmnet, new dredging and beach nourishment.

Q: What activities require the preparation of an Environmental Assessment (EA) or an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)?

In general, an environmental document (NEPA EA or EIS) is required in conjunction with obtaining Corps of Engineers Individual Permits (IPs). IPs are required for wetlands and waters impacts that are beyond the scope of Nationwide or General Permits. In addition, environmental documents may be required on a case-by-case basis by regulatory agencies for projects that will incur impacts to the human environment.

Q: Can LMG issue a wastewater (septic) permit?

No. Currently, only the local health department or the state agency (NCDENR or SC DEHC) has the authority to issue wastewater permits. LMG will be glad to assist clients by meeting them on site and determining the soils and site criteria in accordance with the State Laws and Rules. Many of our clients enjoy using LMG to determine site suitability for wastewater prior to making an expensive application with a county health department.